Looking for family-friendly hotels and vacation rentals in Sonoma County? The secret to a successful, everyone-is-happy family vacation, as any parent knows, is balance, even when you’re visiting a place as spectacular as Wine Country. Establishing an even mix of things the little kids want to do, with adventures for the teenagers, plus activities that will keep mom and dad and perhaps even grandparents thrilled, can be a challenge. And remember, it’s not just the outings that matter, it’s where you stay, as in your hotel, resort and vacation rental.
To plan family activities and find more places to stay, check out the Guide to Sonoma County Family Fun.
Here are a few selected accommodation options that your family will love:
Flamingo Conference Resort and Spa, Santa Rosa
The historical landmark property has recently been remodeled for more modern grandeur, but the signature, 50-foot-tall spinning neon flamingo sign still shines bright pink, just as it has for decades.
- For the kids – The expansive swimming pool
- For the teens – The hotel is within walking distance of Montgomery Village shops, and the hotel rooms are pet friendly
- For the parents - The Health Club offers tennis, a 25-meter lap pool, exercise classes, cardio, strength training, full facility locker rooms, and, get this, childcare. And who can resist complimentary salsa lessons in the ballroom?
- For the grandparents – The posh spa beckons with relaxing massages and facials. All stays include a breakfast buffet and free wine tasting passes at a rainbow array of nearby wineries, too.
Details: Flamingo Conference Resort and Spa
The Inn at Occidental, Occidental
The cozy, 28 room retreat is nestled at the base of a beautiful redwood forested hillside.
- For the kids – The collection of tasteful theme rooms are great fun, like the Safari suite boasting a giraffe mural
- For the teens – Expansive open space and hiking trails let them burn off steam, and they can cool down in the seasonal swimming pool
- For the parents - You’re just steps from the Village’s charming restaurants, Friday Night Farmers Market, Performing Arts Center, and eclectic shops like Mad Hatter Toys, or Hand Goods, offering a fine selections of locally-crafted works such as pottery, hand knits and jewelry
- For the grandparents – The gracious setting includes antiques, replicas, and wonderful pieces of original artwork in every room
Details: Inn at Occidental
Blue Heron House, Healdsburg
The riverfront rental home accommodates up to eight guests, and boasts a fireplace, hot tub, Russian River views from an expansive deck, and river beach access.
- For the kids – A large entertainment room features a big screen TV, DVD, and game table
- For the teens - Stairs lead to the beach water's edge for swimming, canoeing and kayaking. They also get their own retreat, with the fourth bedroom in an attached studio complete with queen bed, sitting area with pull out couch, kitchenette and full bath.
- For the parents - The private, spacious master suite upstairs has a Jacuzzi tub and private balcony, while the home itself is just two miles from bustling downtown Healdsburg
- For the grandparents - French doors open to a large redwood deck with a gas barbecue for grilling and deck furniture; it’s perfect for a family feast
Details: Blue Heron House
Quality Inn Petaluma - Sonoma, Petaluma
The location can’t be beat for this value-oriented but nicely stylish lodge within bicycle riding distance of shops, dining and fashionable craft beer breweries.
- For the kids – The seasonal heated outdoor swimming pool invites splashdowns March to November, plus the must-visit Mrs. Grossman's Sticker Factory & Tours is located just five miles away
- For the teens – The hotel is just a mile from Petaluma Village Premium Outlets shopping mall, and two miles from downtown Petaluma’s abundant shopping, dining and entertainment center
- For the parents – The Romantic Vacation package includes roses, a hot breakfast, and late checkout.
- For the grandparents – The Casino Package Stay, Play and Dine offers goodies like $25 free play coupons at the nearby Parkwest Casino Sonoma, plus additional savings at the Casino's restaurant, City Limits Bar and Grill
Details: Quality Inn Petaluma
More ideas for family travel:
Written by Sonoma Insider Carey Sweet.