After a day of wine tasting, hiking, and exploring Sonoma County, nurture your tired body with a lymphatic massage — and in addition to relaxation and stress relief, enjoy the many health benefits this technique provides.
Lymphatic massage focuses on assisting the lymph fluid in moving throughout your body’s systems. This can help the body release any impurities and allows the immune and lymph system to function together by moving any stagnant fluid trapped between the muscles and cell tissue.
There are many styles of lymphatic massage; the general technique is similar to a Swedish massage, but is typically done with superficial strokes, near the lymph node sites. The soft touch of this massage is the most beneficial way to move the lymph fluid throughout the system. This helps with edema (tissue swelling) and detoxification of the whole system.
Some people get a lymphatic massage when allergies are acting up, or after a cold or flu when medication is no longer needed. Lymphatic techniques may also involve massaging the arms and feet/legs towards the heart to increase the circulation of the body.
Before getting a lymphatic massage, make sure that your lymph system is healthy.
Of course, in addition to lymphatic massage, Sonoma County spas and massage companies offer a wide variety of treatments and services to help you relax, enjoy yourself, and improve your overall health.
Tucked away along the scenic Bohemian Highway in western Sonoma County, the Osmosis Day Spa Sanctuary is the only U.S. day spa that offers the cedar enzyme bath, a rejuvenating Japanese heat treatment. In addition to a community of experienced therapists, the spa offers organic facials and skin care, and the opportunity to relax in its meditation garden, sipping its exclusive blend of organic herbal tea.
Overlooking the Pacific Ocean and surrounded by the natural beauty of the Sonoma coastline, the Spa at the Bodega Bay Lodge offers a relaxing retreat. The extensive menu of massages, facials, and signature body treatments provide the ultimate in pampering and luxury.
In Sonoma Valley in eastern Sonoma County, the Fairmont Sonoma Mission Inn Spa offers luxurious spa treatments in a historic resort setting, with elegant amenities designed to promote health, relaxation, and rejuvenation.
Also in Sonoma Valley, the Kenwood Inn and Spa blends full spa services with the allure of a Mediterranean villa, plus walkways that meander from courtyard to terrace, and from patio to spa, to create a sense of true relaxation and escape.
It's not possible to list all the massage opportunities in Sonoma County, but here's a quick sampling of other options:
- Kit Lofroos Massage Therapy is a mobile service using trigger-points, myofascial stretching, carnio-sacral, Swedish, and shiatsu techniques.
- Magical Massage in Glen Ellen in the Sonoma Valley is a destination massage and organic facial service housed in a 22-foot wine barrel.
- Massage Envy franchise operations are available in Cotati, Petaluma, Santa Rosa, and Sonoma.
- Rejuvance in Santa Rosa provides deep tissue massage, reiki, prenatal massage, and skin care.
- Royal Care Lifestyle in Santa Rosa promises massage treatment packages in a convenient location with affordable rates.
- Samagse Massage is a mobile service offering traditional massage, body therapy, skin care, and more, including a mobile yoga instructor and therapist.
- Sonoma Bodyworks features massage therapists providing mobile spa services in the Sonoma Valley.
- Soulstice Spa in Santa Rosa offers deep tissue, sports, Swedish, prenatal, trigger point, and hot stone massage therapy, as well as reiki, shiatsu, and body care.
Updated by Sonoma Insider Patricia Lynn Henley.