Green Hotels: Sheraton Sonoma County-Petaluma Hotel
Perched on the banks of the Petaluma River and overlooking the Marina, the Sheraton Sonoma County-Petaluma Hotel has the look and feel of a relaxed waterfront resort — yet it’s close to downtown Petaluma, with its turn-of-the-century architecture, art galleries, fine restaurants, and boutiques.
It’s also a mere hour from one of the nation’s most exciting cities: San Francisco. No wonder it was named by Travel & Leisure Magazine as one of the nation’s “Top 10 Getaways Near a Major City.”
And all this environmental sensibility is wrapped in handsome, conveniently located surroundings. A certified member of the Sonoma Green Business Program (see below), the Sheraton Sonoma County-Petaluma Hotel has undertaken numerous green initiatives:
- Installing an efficient irrigation system that utilizes low-flow sprinkler heads on a timer in all landscaped areas.
- Offering guests a choice in deciding how often their linens and towels should be laundered, helping to reduce the use of energy, chlorine, detergent and water.
- Recycling paper, cardboard, plastic, glass, cooking oil, and batteries.
- Using recycled paper on property (about 30 percent of all paper used is recycled).
- Using thermostats with motion sensors that adjust temperature to conserve energy when guests are not in the room.
- Using off-peak time temperature setbacks on boilers to conserve energy.
- Installing energy efficient lighting throughout the hotel.
- Using motion sensors on vending machines to turn off cooling when foot traffic is low.
Among many amenities, this pet-friendly hotel offers an outdoor whirlpool and heated lap pool, a fitness facility, complimentary Internet access in all guest rooms, and a daily social hour. Excellent dining is available in-house at Tolay Restaurant, recipient of Wine Spectator Magazine’s Award of Excellence three years running (2011-2013).
Sheraton Sonoma County-Petaluma Hotel, 745 Baywood Drive. Petaluma, CA 94954
“Green Hotels” is an ongoing series that profiles certified lodging members of the Sonoma Green Business Program. These hotels, B&Bs, inns, and other accommodations undergo a rigorous accreditation process to ensure that they take action to conserve resources, minimize waste, comply with environmental regulations, prevent pollution and reduce their carbon footprint.