2013 Sonoma County Farmers’ Markets
One of the many happy aspects to spring in Sonoma County is the re-emergence of farmers markets that close during the winter. While some markets operate year-round, many others fold up their metaphorical shutters in October or November.
But then, usually in May, the shutters fly open once more. Young garlics, small favas, tender lettuces, radishes, broccoli rabe, beets and other springtime goodies are put on display.
Household cooks and restaurant chefs appear, carting straw baskets and cavernous bags. Sellers who haven’t seen each other since late fall share tales of vacations taken, books read, or maybe a newly-planted orchard.
And with that the markets swing into the season.
It goes without saying that, in Sonoma County, food is the main reason everybody comes to the farmers markets.
But the markets do offer much more. They’re great places to meet your friends and hang out together for a time. You can usually grab a meal from a food truck or vendor.
Many markets offer entertainment, so you can listen or admire whoever’s in the spotlight: a rock band, a jazz trio, a flamenco guitarist, a mariachi group decked out in full rig. It’s almost always an adventure at the farmers’ market.
Find out for yourself: Here’s a list of Sonoma County farmers markets, with all dates, times and addresses updated for 2013. For all farmers markets and to find farms in Sonoma County, go to the Farms & Farmers Markets listings on the Sonoma County website.
- Thursdays (June 7-August 29): 4:30-7:30 p.m., La Plaza Park, downtown (Old Redwood Highway & West Sierra Avenue).
Glen Ellen Farmers’ Market
- Sundays (May-October): 10 a.m.-2 p.m., Jack London Village (14301 Arnold Drive).
- Saturdays (May 24-October 31): 9:30 a.m.-12:30 p.m., Gualala Community Center, 57950 Center Street.
- Saturdays (May 4 through November): 9 a.m.-noon, North and Vine Streets, one block west of the Plaza.
- Wednesdays (June 5-October 30): 3:30-6 p.m., Purity/Cerri parking lot on North Street between Grove Street/Foss Street (across the street from the parking lot where the Saturday market is held).
- Fridays (June-October): 4 p.m.-dusk, downtown Occidental.
- Saturdays (May 18-November 23): 2-5:30 p.m. in Walnut Park (Petaluma Blvd. South at D Street).
- Wednesdays (June 5-August 28): 4:30-8 p.m. in the Theatre District (2nd Street between B and D Streets).
- Tuesdays (Year-Round): 10 a.m.-1:30 p.m. at the Lucchesi Park/Community Center, 320 N. McDowell Blvd.
Both these markets are open year-round:
- Wednesdays: 8:30 a.m.-noon at the Santa Rosa Veterans’ Memorial Building, 1351 Maple Avenue.
- Saturdays: 8:30 a.m.-1 p.m. in the same location as Wednesday.
- Friday (June 7 through August 30): 5-8 p.m., in the library parking lot adjoining City Center Plaza (600 City Center Drive).
Both these markets are open year round:
- Wednesday: 8:30 a.m.-noon, in the south parking lot of the Wells Fargo Center for the Arts (off Highway 101 in north Santa Rosa).
- Saturday: 8:30 a.m.-1 p.m., in the same location as the Wednesday market.
- Sunday (Year-Round): 10 a.m.-1:30 p.m., in Sebastopol Plaza on Weeks Way in downtown Sebastopol.
- Tuesday (May-October): Valley of the Moon Certified Farmers Market, 5:30 p.m.-dusk, behind City Hall on Sonoma’s plaza.
- Friday (Year-Round): Sonoma Valley Certified Farmer’s Market, 9 a.m.-12:30 p.m., in the Arnold Field parking lot at 241 West First Street, Sonoma.
- Sunday (April-December): 10 a.m.-1 p.m., on Market Street in Old Downtown.
- Thursday (June-August): 5-8 p.m., same location as Sunday.