How to Fly to Sonoma County More Sustainably
Good news: You can now reduce the impact of your flight to Sonoma County, using carbon offsets!
Our local Charles M. Schulz Sonoma County Airport (STS) in Santa Rosa is now is a proud airport member of The Good Traveler, the world’s first aviation-focused carbon offset program.
STS guests can buy a carbon offset from The Good Traveler to go with their plane ticket, and play a direct role in funding regional projects aimed at reducing our national carbon footprint.
All carbon offset purchases provide capital funding for accredited carbon offset programs throughout the country. With the goal of balancing the climate, these projects include growing living things to capture carbon, producing clean wind energy instead of coal-fired energy, capturing methane from landfills, and using various strategies and technologies to prevent greenhouse gases from escaping in the first place.
The Good Traveler's carbon impact calculator enables you to estimate your flight's carbon impact using your departure and arrival airports, the number of travelers, and whether it's a one-way or round trip.
For example, a round-trip flight from Denver's DEN to STS could be offset with a purchase of $9.77, which would then be donated to an accredited carbon offset program such as the Pocosin Lakes Forest Conservation Program in North Carolina, or Merit Energy Geo-Sequestration in Wyoming.
To date, the The Good Traveler program has offset over 86,000 metric tons of carbon, the equivalent of neutralizing over 554 million passenger flight miles.
Aviation partners of this ambitious program include Alaska Airlines, as well as the following airports:
- Aspen-Pitkin County Airport (ASE)
- Austin-Bergstrom International Airport (AUS)
- Charles M. Schulz-Sonoma County Airport (STS)
- Dallas-Fort Worth International Airport (DFW)
- Eugene Airport (EUG)
- Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport (ATL)
- Indianapolis Airport Authority (IND)
- Jackson Hole Airport (JAC)
- Los Angeles International Airport (LAX)
- Long Beach Airport (LGB)
- Louisville Muhammad Ali International Airport (SDF)
- MidAmerica St. Louis Airport (BLV)
- San Diego International Airport (SAN)
- San Francisco International Airport (SFO)
- Seattle-Tacoma International Airport (SEA)
- Port Authority of New York & New Jersey (JFK, EWR, LGA, SWF, TEB)
Please fly safe to Sonoma County—and now, more sustainably, too!
Written by Melanie Wynne