The wood-frame building next to the barracks seems to have been constructed during the 1850s when it housed, among other things, a retail store and rental library. Later the building came to be used as an unpretentious, inexpensive hotel. Around 1890 when many of its customers were ltalian immigrants and other working-class people, the name of the hotel changed from "Eureka" to "Toscano." Today, the Toscano is furnished withberiod furniture and looks much the way it did around the turn of the century. The kitchen and dining room were in a separate building behind the one facing the plaza. The gray, two-story, wood-frame building that now houses the park headquarters and interpretive center dates from the turn of the century when it served as a boarding house.