Guide to Sonoma County Airport (STS)
Start your Wine Country adventure by flying into Charles M. Schulz Sonoma County Airport (STS) in Santa Rosa. Enjoy a hassle-free airport environment with shorter lines, easy affordable parking, ground transportation connections, and welcoming hospitality just north of San Francisco in Northern California's Wine Country.
Flying to Sonoma County Airport
Sonoma County Airport offers the following direct flights and airline services:
- Burbank (BUR)
- Los Angeles (LAX)
- Orange County (SNA)
- Portland (PDX)
- San Diego (SAN)
- Seattle (SEA)
- Dallas - Fort Worth (DFW)
- Los Angeles (LAX)
- Phoenix-Sky Harbor (PHX)
- Denver (DEN)
- San Francisco (SFO)
And best of all, when you buy wine in Sonoma County and fly out of STS on Alaska Airlines, your wine flies back home free under the airline's mileage plan.
Airport Dining and Restaurants
The Sky Lounge Steakhouse & Sushi Bar features a fresh, organic menu daily for breakfast, lunch, and dinner, including a full bar, a daily sushi menu, and a sun-filled patio where you can watch the planes take off and land. Enjoy a good meal while you prepare for the next step of your journey.
- Car rental companies located in the STS terminal: Ace, Avis, Budget, Enterprise, and National.
- Taxi and shuttle companies that operate at STS.
- Public transportation, Sonoma County Transit buses take riders to various destinations countywide, including Cloverdale in the north, Petaluma in the south, the Sonoma Valley in the east, and the Russian River Valley towns in the west. From STS, bus route 62 can take you slightly north to the town of Windsor, or south to the city of Santa Rosa and the Santa Rosa Transit Mall, a Sonoma County Transit hub.
- Airport Express operates between Sonoma County Airport and San Francisco and Oakland Airports. Other stops include Santa Rosa Fairgrounds, Doubletree by Hilton in Rohnert Park, and Petaluma Fairgrounds.
- The Sonoma-Marin Area Regional Transit (SMART) Airport Boulevard train station is slightly more than a mile east of the airport; transportation options between the train station and the airport include Sonoma County Transit buses, taxis, or ride sharing services. SMART's energy-efficient, clean diesel trains carry passengers along 45 miles of track, from the airport station in northern Santa Rosa, south to Larkspur in Marin County, where you can catch a ferry to San Francisco.
Things to Do around Sonoma County Airport
Not far from STS you'll find the Pacific Coast Air Museum, where you can learn about Sonoma County's aviation heritage while exploring more than 35 historic aircraft. For family fun, check out the Charles M. Schulz Museum, Snoopy's Home Ice, and the Children's Museum of Sonoma County, all located with a few blocks of each other in Santa Rosa.
And of course, this is Wine Country, so tasting the fruit of the grape at one of Sonoma County's more than 425 wineries is a definite possibility. If your tastes include other handcrafted beverages, follow the Sonoma County Craft Beverage Map.
There are many, many options for things to do in Sonoma County. Flying into STS means you'll be able to start relaxing and enjoying everything Sonoma Wine Country has to offer just that much sooner, without a long drive from a busy airport.
The down-home feeling starts as you enter the terminal and spot happy images of the Peanuts gang that was the brainchild of the airport's namesake, the late (and beloved) cartoonist Charles M. Schulz. Where else will you find an information center decorated like Lucy's psychiatric booth or see wall murals of Snoopy flying his Sopwith Camel (doghouse)? Don't miss fun statues of Charlie, Lucy, and the others, both in the airport and throughout the surrounding community. Just outside the airport's front doors, bronze statues of Charlie Brown and Linus lean on a stone wall, watching travelers coming and going.