Where to Eat Breakfast in Sonoma County
Sonoma County – home of Michelin- and Zagat-rated restaurants – also lays claim to some of the best breakfast diners anywhere.
And, yes, those are Sonoma-fresh eggs lying next to the local sausage, and the toast comes from any number of locally owned bakeries. Whether you're sampling fresh fruit or nibbling on a more exotic Dungeness crab omelet, chances are the ingredients come from Sonoma County.
Enough about how it's made, here are just a few of the many places to find an amazing array of food in the morning:
Northern Sonoma County
- Costeaux French Bakery is celebrated for its legendary artisan breads – including the Sonoma County Harvest Fair best of show ciabatta - and open-air bakery cafe.
- Dierk's Parkside Café owner-chef Mark Dierkhising believes enjoying well-prepared food is a shared experience - shared with those growing it, those preparing it, those serving it, and those eating it.
- Hank's Creekside Restaurant is an old-time favorite 'greasy-spoon' that's been dishing up breakfast for more than 20 years. It was featured on the Food Network's Diners, Drive-ins and Dives.
- Jeffrey's Hillside Café was opened by acclaimed chef Jeffrey Madura, who created quite a following as head chef at John Ash & Co.
- Omelette Express has been a breakfast staple in Santa Rosa since 1977. In 2007, a second location opened in Windsor, serving loyal customers who live in northern Sonoma County.
Eastern Sonoma County
- Sunflower Caffe serves up some of Sonoma's freshest and most local ingredients in unique and creative dishes. Try the Vegan Tostada or Summer Scramble for an innovative Wine Country breakfast.
- Basque Boulangerie Cafe, home of Sonoma's original sourdough and sweet French breads, serves up a taste of Paris on the Sonoma Square.
- Santé Restaurant at the Fairmont Sonoma Mission Inn is known for its breakfasts, especially the lemon and cottage chees pancakes with crème fraîche. Add a side of Caggiano chicken apple sausage links and, wow, no need to stop for lunch later.
Western Sonoma County
- Coast Kitchen at Timber Cove Resort offers stunning ocean views and fresh seasonal fare.
- Hole in the Wall serves California comfort food in a cozy setting with an open kitchen where you can watch chef Adam work magic behind the line.
- Howard Station Café serves healthy organic ingredients and provides a place of comfort through delicious food.
- Rocker Oysterfeller's celebrates the bounty of Sonoma County's farms, ranches, and ocean. Primarily a popular dinner restaurant, it also serves Sunday brunch from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.
- Wild Flour Bread is such a popular bakery, people come from miles around to sample their hot-from-the-wood-fired-oven fresh breads, scones, sticky buns, and more.
Southern Sonoma County
- Tea Room Cafe is renowned for its French toast, as well as its pancakes, omelets, scrambles, and more (including daily lunch and a Sunday brunch), all made with fresh local ingredients.
- Water Street Bistro, sitting right on the banks of the Petaluma River, is run by a talented mother-daughter team and exudes all the cheer and flavor of a Parisien bistro.