Where to Eat Breakfast in Sonoma County
Sonoma County – home of Michelin- and Zagat-rated restaurants – also lays claim to some of the best breakfast diners anywhere.
And, yes, those are Sonoma-fresh eggs lying next to the local sausage, and the toast comes from any number of locally owned bakeries. Whether you're sampling fresh fruit or nibbling on a more exotic Dungeness crab omelet, chances are the ingredients come from Sonoma County.
Enough about how it's made, here are just a few of the many places to find an amazing array of food in the morning:
Northern Sonoma County
- Costeaux French Bakery is celebrated for its legendary artisan breads – including the Sonoma County Harvest Fair best of show ciabatta - and open-air bakery cafe.
- Dierk's Parkside Café owner-chef Mark Dierkhising believes enjoying well-prepared food is a shared experience - shared with those growing it, those preparing it, those serving it, and those eating it.
- Hank's Creekside Restaurant is an old-time favorite 'greasy-spoon' that's been dishing up breakfast for more than 20 years. It was featured on the Food Network's Diners, Drive-ins and Dives.
- Jeffrey's Hillside Café was opened by acclaimed chef Jeffrey Madura, who created quite a following as head chef at John Ash & Co.
- Omelette Express has been a breakfast staple in Santa Rosa since 1977. In 2007, a second location opened in Windsor, serving loyal customers who live in northern Sonoma County.
Eastern Sonoma County
- Sunflower Caffe serves up some of Sonoma's freshest and most local ingredients in unique and creative dishes. Try the Vegan Tostada or Summer Scramble for an innovative Wine Country breakfast.
- Basque Boulangerie Cafe, home of Sonoma's original sourdough and sweet French breads, serves up a taste of Paris on the Sonoma Square.
- Santé Restaurant at the Fairmont Sonoma Mission Inn is known for its breakfasts, especially the lemon and cottage chees pancakes with crème fraîche. Add a side of Caggiano chicken apple sausage links and, wow, no need to stop for lunch later.
Western Sonoma County
- Coast Kitchen at Timber Cove Resort offers stunning ocean views and fresh seasonal fare.
- Hole in the Wall serves California comfort food in a cozy setting with an open kitchen where you can watch chef Adam work magic behind the line.
- Howard Station Café serves healthy organic ingredients and provides a place of comfort through delicious food.
- Rocker Oysterfeller's celebrates the bounty of Sonoma County's farms, ranches, and ocean. Primarily a popular dinner restaurant, it also serves Sunday brunch from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.
- Wild Flour Bread is such a popular bakery, people come from miles around to sample their hot-from-the-wood-fired-oven fresh breads, scones, sticky buns, and more.
Southern Sonoma County
- Tea Room Cafe is renowned for its French toast, as well as its pancakes, omelets, scrambles, and more (including daily lunch and a Sunday brunch), all made with fresh local ingredients.
- Water Street Bistro, sitting right on the banks of the Petaluma River, is run by a talented mother-daughter team and exudes all the cheer and flavor of a Parisien bistro.
- Wishbone grows and makes nearly all of the ingredients, it puts on your plate, from the bread to the pickles to the slabs of bacon. Whatever the chefs and creators at Wishbone aren't growing in the garden behind the restaurant or raising on their own land, they curate from the countless local farmers and producers.