Sebastopol Offers Some of the Best Vegan and Vegetarian Restaurants
Capitalizing on the bounty of the many farms and orchards in the area, the small town of Sebastopol offers some of Sonoma County's best vegetarian restaurants . Whether it's casual or more upscale eating you're after, there's something to satisfy every meatless appetite.
The owners of Slice of Life in downtown Sebastopol (6970 McKinley St., Sebastopol, 707-829-6627) have been crafting vegetarian American, Italian, and Mexican cuisine since 1974. That means recipes contain no animal products except dairy cheeses, and many dishes are fat-free, low-fat, dairy-free, and lactose-free.
Even carnivores will eat up the burgers, presented on organic whole wheat buns, topped with grilled onions and mushrooms, sprouts, dairy-free mayo, and pickles. Inside the bun, you'll find thick, moist patties fashioned from nuts, seeds, and grains; tempeh, wild rice, and barbecue sauce; sunflower seeds, brown rice, and carrots; or a tasty blend of wheat gluten and soy protein best topped with 'fakin' bacon' and guacamole.
Even the French fries are special here, called 'hot airs' since they're oil-free, fat-free, and guilt-free, offered in regular, sweet potato, or coated in fresh garlic.
A lengthy and ambitious menu offers something for all appetites at the East West Café (128 N. Main St., Sebastopol, 707-829-2822). More mainstream eaters might lean to the friendly and delicious veggie Benedict, bringing a toasted English muffin topped with avocado, tomato, sautéed shiitake mushrooms, poached eggs, and homemade hollandaise alongside country potatoes and salsa.
Yet practiced vegans will zero in on the organic Macro Plate, brimming with braised tofu or grilled tempeh with vegetables, arame seaweed, black beans, brown rice, hummus, and tahini. And by the end of the meal, both will be sharing plates, sipping glasses of organic wine, and planning dessert around chocolate-beet cake.
Other Sebastopol restaurants that offer some vegetarian or vegan options include:
- Food Mechanic (980 Gravenstein Highway S., Sebastopol, 707-827-6044)
- Gravenstein Grill (8050 Bodega Ave, Sebastopol, 707-634-6142)
- Gypsy Café (162 N. Main St., Sebastopol, 707-861-3825)
- Himalayan Tandoori and Curry House (969 Gravenstein Highway S., Sebastopol, 707-824-1800)
- Jam's Joy Bungalow (150 Weeks Way, Sebastopol)
- La Bodega Kitchen (2295 Gravenstein Highway S., Sebastopol, 707-827-1832)
- Muir's Tea Room (330 S. Main St., Sebastopol, 707-634-6143)
- Papas and Pollo (915 Gravenstein Ave., Sebastopol, 707-829-9037)
- Ramen Gaijin (6948 Sebastopol Ave., Sebastopol, 707-827-3609)
- The Nectary (6760 McKinley St., #130, Sebastopol, 707-829-2697)